Care & Maintenance of Your Septic System
- Space your washing machine loads out throughout the week.
- Practice water conservation.
- Know the location of your septic tank.
- Check your leach field for system failure.
- Have your septic system visually inspected once a year to detect problems before they become severe.
- Have your tank pumped out at least every 1 to 3 years.
- Flush bulky waste or grease into your system.
- Flush toxic materials into the system (paint thinner, gasoline, pesticides, chlorine, drain cleaners).
- Don't let facial tissues, paper towels, disposable diapers, tampons, sanitary napkins, cigarette butts or anything that doesn't
readily decompose enter your septic system.
- Allow vehicles, plantings, or livestock on the leach field.
- Add commercial additives to your system.